Originally Posted By: Quarter Acre
Mike, sometimes it takes me several breaths and maybe some sleep to understand pump charts. So without noodling your chart...I would say you are on the right track. And using the lesser of the Vertex diffuser lift numbers keeps you on the safe side anyhow. In fact, throw in a goobery safety factor in of 1/2 and you are still turning your pond in six hours time.

Share your chart if you can post a pic of it, that will help. I bet your pump is a diaphragm or some sort of positive placement pump, like piston.

For some reason, my fish have backed off from feeding a fair bit lately and my water temps just 6 days ago were 78 top to bottom (they fed well then), but the summer heat came back and I am still at 78 on the bottom, but 84 at 18" down. The fact that your fish are eating well says a lot to me.

I need to find a host to get some pics on here. I've got a couple of plants I'd like some input on as well.

You are correct on the pump, its a Gast 1/8 hp diaphram, model DOA-P701-AA. Hopefully only running it 6 hours will give it a good long service life. The whole kit is marketed as EasyPro. I think it draws 4.2 amps, so a 6 hour run wont break the bank either!!

I've been pretty pleased with my fish, they're feeding well and growing. Looking forward to soaking some crickets soon and harvesting a few. Kinda torn about what size GSF to take out. They've been helping keep the fry and YOY in check. (And I'm kind of curious just how big I can get them). Seeing more and more 4-6" BG and a few over 7 now and lots of 3-5 inchers. GSF are as fat and sassy as ever and remarkably, still have a few nest tenders. Haven't seen much of my 3 LMB since I put the aeration in tho. Just a glimps of one every now and then.

I guess I need to quit being so anal about the temp and let the fish tell me how they're doing more. 88-91 doesn't seem to bother them much. All in all, the pond seems to be doing decent.

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 08/27/18 07:58 PM.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!