Originally Posted By: Mike Whatley
I did a water quality test yesterday, gathering water in a test tube from arm length, and there was a very noticeably change in temp at that depth, but I have no idea how much.

The test was very favorable, with no adverse levels of Nitrites, nitrates, iron or copper and Alk/PH were good. Hardness still sucks tho.

Good to hear your water is checking out good. I have not elevated to that level of pondmeistering...yet.

I can tell you the average difference in temps I have seen over the summer months between different level of my water column...

May, DeltaT (Outside HI - Surf) = NO SURF TEMPS TAKEN IN MAY,
June, DeltaT (Outside HI - Surf) = 1.5 Degrees,
Aug, DeltaT (Outside HI - Surf) = 3.7 Degrees.

May, DeltaT (Outside HI - 18"DOWN) = 5.8 Degrees F,
June, DeltaT (Outside HI - 18"DOWN) = 4.4 Degrees,
Aug, DeltaT (Outside HI - 18"DOWN) = 7.2 Degrees.

May, DeltaT (Surface - 18"DOWN) = NO SURF TEMPS TAKEN IN MAY,
June, DeltaT (Surface - 18"DOWN) = 3.3 Degrees,
Aug, DeltaT (Surface - 18"DOWN) = 3.5 Degrees.

May, DeltaT (18"DOWN - 7'DOWN) = 12.2 Degrees,
June, DeltaT (18"DOWN - 7'DOWN) = 5.9 Degrees,
Aug, DeltaT (18"DOWN - 7'DOWN) = 3.3 Degrees.

May, DeltaT (Surface - 7'DOWN) = NO SURF TEMPS TAKEN IN MAY,
June, DeltaT (Surface - 7'DOWN) = 9.2 Degrees,
Aug, DeltaT (Surface - 7'DOWN) = 6.8 Degrees.

For the last several days it has been unseasonably cool with outside highs in the low 80's and high 70's. This has left the pond with temps in the upper 70's from top to bottom.

Mike, Keep an eye on your 18" down temps and the bottom. Once your system as settled in, these numbers should be fairly close like 10 degrees or below. This should apply for the hot months and if you are NOT trying to establish a thermocline near the bottom. IF you are not around 10 and bellow, you may not be turning the pond over OR you have a thermocline which could be a good thing. Even though my lowest diffuser is 3 feet from the bottom, I do not have a thermocline. Maybe my diffuser fell over or the updraft that it creates is enough to pull the bottom waters up. I'll check the diffuser the next time the boat goes in for fall cleaning.

Fish on!,
Noel