Hi,
Recently came into ownership of a rather large gravel pit that I hope is ripe for a fish pond, so decided I need to research everything there is to know about the subject and figured I would introduce myself.

The gravel pit itself has a lot of potential. Some gravel and sand still to be mined and with some work could become something.

Few issues with our area. First off the weather. -30 C in the winter, however the pit does not freeze all the way down. The depth varies, from 5' in some areas, to 30' + in other areas. We will dig it out a little deeper in other areas as we use the gravel.

Attached is an image of what we own.

https://imgur.com/a/knOh1wJ

As you can see there are 3 sections. The one on the far left is mostly finished in terms of getting gravel out, but is also the deepest and cleanest spot. We are thinking of keeping that primarily as a swimming spot. The section in the middle is the dirtiest in terms of algae and weed growth, plus the depth doesn't go much beyond 10' to 15' in MOST areas however there are some deeper sections. This area has a LOT of smaller minnow type fish, however I'm not entirely exactly sure what it is. Because of this I am thinking of working on this area as the fish pond. The section on the right is where a lot of gravel excavation is going to be done still, so nothing here immediately.

I do not know much about fish ponds, however bass come to mind in terms of something I would want to place in the future, however conditions may not allow. I am open to suggestions and would love to post here with progress and more pictures as we make the journey. Hoping for some advice and help of where to start and what I should do right out of the gate.

Thanks!

Last edited by Azure; 08/20/18 09:01 PM.