I bit the bullet today and placed an order for a complete aeration kit. 1/8 hp Gast Diaphram pump rated to 30 feet (I'll have it set 7-9'deep in the center of the pond), double tubular membrane diffuser on an underlaying plate, check valve and 50 ft of 3/8" sinking air line. Should be here by next weekend.

My platform of milk crates to elevate it off the bottom is sitting at the ready. I'm still trying to decide just how high to raise it. I know it should be off the bottom a little at least, but I'm not sure if I should shoot for trying to aerate the entire pond, or leave that deepest 1-3 feet to stratify. I've read arguments on both schools of thought, but I'm torn between keeping it closer to the bottom to help in reducing muck over time, or elevating it higher to provide a warmer (or cooler) layer of water on the bottom.

I'm hoping someone will provide a convincing argument on either thought.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!