Wynne,
Do you know if this septic is a mechanical system (multi-chambered tank with aeration to accelerate decomposition) or if it's an old fashioned tank and field line.

If it's a mechanical system,the water that's making it to the pond is considered grey water and poses no threat as all of the waist is filtered out before it reaches the discharge. In LA, all septic systems have to be mechanical now and some communities even dictate using the discharge as lawn irrigation. Our neighborhood discharges to the street ditches, but there's seldom anything coming out of pipe and there's no smell at all. I'd think if the health department considers this safe for your lawn, it would be safe for your pond.

Now, if it's the old fashioned, field line that's supposed to be perking into the soil, whatever waist should be filtered before it gets to the pond.

If it's discharging directly in the pond, you've got a cesspool, not a pond and I believe in most states is now considered illegal for health reasons.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!