Howdy! I may not be able to help ya much as I'm also a pond newbie (relatively speaking), but I can tell you that you've found the right place for the answers you seek.

I started in a little different place last year when we had our mini-pond dug, so that is a whole different set of challenges than inheriting a 25 year old pond. Your pond is quite beautiful by the way... love how serene it looks.

There are aeration options that may not be the "big $$$" you are assuming. Since the pond is a hundred yards or so from the house, you could conceivably do all the power and compression at the house and run an air line from the house to the pond cheaper than running copper the same length to a sub-panel. There are also solar aeration options you could look into. I think aeration is definitely worth investigating. Everything I've seen, read, and heard since I started researching building a pond supported aeration being a powerful tool in managing water quality.

Anyhoo... welcome to the forum and congrats on a gorgeous little minipond. I'm looking forward to seeing how your project progresses.

Cheers!
/clayton

edit ps. If you haven't yet, Pond Boss magazine is worth every penny of the sub... you will get a wealth of information in every issue. Highly recommended!

Last edited by KapHn8d; 07/08/18 08:50 PM. Reason: shameless plug

96.85840735 percent clayton... the rest is just pi.

We become what we think about.