Originally Posted By: jpsdad
Originally Posted By: Rainman
...in short, Tilapia are excellent for growing LMB!

I would never argue differently. When I agreed that I would like to see research I speak specifically of gaining knowledge of how they may affect BG.

I will try to dig out some of the studies on TFS vs BG vs Tilapia. They are all over the range of results because the lakes and conditions varied - it all depends.

TFS and BG eat different things at different times and generally only compete for food at the very margin. Bob noted this. Plankton present and when the small yoy BG eat it are different from when the TFS eat the same plankton. TFS are mostly consumed by small to mid sized LMB. Bigger LMB 4+ lbs do much better on larger BG and Tilapia - Rex noted this - as a big LMB chasing TFS is an energetic waste for the LMB when it can eat 5 inch BG or Tilapia.

I was involved in the study Bob mentioned. I have serious doubts that the LMB were not eating tilapia. I think it was a size and time of year aberration. In the very least they removed pressure on the BG ,shad and other possible forage species. There were many species present - not a traditional LMB , BG , tilapia type lake.

Last edited by ewest; 07/07/18 09:41 AM.