Originally Posted By: anthropic
Quote:
I do recall a polyculture food fish study with catfish and "tilapia" (species not identified)....100 pounds of Tilapia were put into a catfish pond containing 1000 pounds of catfish. No feeding or aeration was done and at harvest 4 months later, there was 1260 pounds of catfish with 20% mortality by numbers and over 1000 pounds of tilapia.

I have a 1/8 to 1/10 acre forage pond that I'd like to make into a good spot for my grandkids to catch big fish we can eat. (Also to keep some of the large LMB around the dock from being hooked!) Was thinking of growing CC, but you've got me interested in TP as well. Feeding would be done, and I guess I'd need aeration as well.

Any thoughts on how the CC plus TP combo might work? Can TP be caught on a hook, say with a Stubby Steve, in such a situation?

Buddy, Tilapia in LA will get your pond drained and sterilized...but on the bright side, the state or Fed will probaly feed you for months to years.....Tilapia are Very frowned upon in LA!!! The state even rotenoned over 100 acres of a bayou where ONE tilapia was found a few years ago...prolly killed every fish EXCEPT tilapia too...