Been giving some thought as to perhaps why GSF might make growing trophy LMB more difficult in combination with BG. They might reduce the efficiency of the food chain when they consume YOY BG. GSF might only gain 1 oz for every 5 oz of BG. That 1 oz when the GSF is eaten by a LMB will only grow ~ .2 oz of LMB. They might highjack the food chain so to speak (like a production tax) reducing the efficiency by which the BG can feed the LMB.

GSF are able to consume GSF YOY at much longer lengths than BG can consume BG YOY. This may be at least one reason as to why BG are better producers of food for LMB. GSF can also spawn multiple times but at 2" don't exceed the gape of 7" GSF. On the other hand, I have observed 2" BG just hanging around >9" BG with no apparent fear. In comes a LMB of the same length and they keep their distance.

With panfish as a goal they might not interfere if LMB are able to recruit well enough to keep the LMB size structure concentrated with <12" LMB. I've seen LMB recruit in high numbers in the presence of GSF but the ponds were weedy and that may be the difference. One of the best BG ponds I've ever fished is right below my Dad's house in OK. I have never fished it that I didn't catch at least 2 BG or BG X GSF that exceed 10". So at least in its case, GSF might improve panfishing for BG.

Last edited by jpsdad; 06/27/18 01:18 AM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers