The first thing I would like to do, is say thanks to all those that stopped by for a visit on my little hatchery pond journey. This thread has been rolling along for almost 7 years and 250,000 views, and I really thought this thread would run its course by now. But luckily, there’s just too much to learn, and too many new things to try. It’s been quite the ride.

So, this year's hatchery pond project is back to where I started almost 7 years ago, and that would be CNBG. I had never anticipated how much I would enjoy seeing my big pond transform since the addition of my first batch of OTS CNBG 5 years ago. The big pond is going on 20 years old, and other than one stocking from my original source of CNBG, none had been added. The original Florida strain of CNBG were brutes, but were almost solid black, and less than colorful to say the least.

This year is about trying to get a higher percentage of males that carry a non-dominant(my words, not Todd's) red tailed OTS CNBG trait and make it more common. I already have CNBG displaying this trait in the big pond, but not in the numbers I want. I might also add the red tails primarily show up around the spawns, but the transparency of the tail makes photos difficult. The best examples of the red tail is best seen on a 2007 pic from 13-3-2007 at Overton Fisheries CNBG page.

The thing I like about this particular project is the ease in determining if this all works. Most forum talk revolves around size as the main reason for adding new genetics, but increased vigor and color and body shape options are what I think of when adding new genetics. Success or failure should be determined by simple observation, and there should be no mystery if this works. The only gotcha is that these CNBG will need to be seined during, or right before they spawn this Sept-Oct. The red colors are already there, but it'll be up to me to determine which male CNBG get to stay in the hatchery pond as spawners, and which ones hit the big pond.

After growing out CNBG several times, LSL LMB twice, RBT twice, and HSB, I’m convinced that FHM start predator fingerlings off with a bang, and this year’s project is no different. What I don’t want is for these CNBG to run straight to the feeders, so them being grown out with both fish food and live forage makes sense to me. When they’re released, I want them feeding on anything that fits their gape, and not just waiting around for a handout from my feeders.

I’m not sure how the pics will display, so here’s what’s below.

The first pic shows a pretty close ratio of the CNBG to FHM I stocked. The FHM have already had several spawns, and the shoreline cover is loaded with a consistent source of gape friendly FHM fry. I expect the CNBG to be big enough to feed on the adult FHM this fall or winter.

The second and third pic show the difference in my legacy CNBG, and the OTS CNBG I have now. This is where I want to continue go genetics wise.

The video is me stocking them. It sure is nice not to wash salt out of the bed of my truck anymore.

Attached Images
FRY1.jpg CNBG-1.jpg CNBG-2.jpg
Last edited by FireIsHot; 06/22/18 02:46 PM.

AL