A well to fill a pond would be tough to cost justify due to electricity costs. Water is hard to find on my place. A well guy told me that the average household uses, as I remember, about 250 gallons per day. My well, when initially dug, produced 1/10 gpm. But, it does it 24 hours per day and I pump into a big tank. Don't remember how many gallons it holds but I seem to recall that it is 2,500 gallons. It is shallow. We found water at 50 ft and no more below that. I have no reason to worry about running out of water for household use.

I can't pump into a pond or even have an orchard. We seldom get a lot of rain on my place. When we do, it is usually a gully washer.

I dowsed the well with a couple of bent brass rods. I walked around and one of them swung sideways. I marked the spot and it didn't happen anywhere else. When I went back over it, it didn't happen again. So, I hunted up a local dowser. He confirmed my finding but said there wasn't much. I went ahead and drilled there and things worked out.

The dowser used a small, forked, willow limb. While he was there a local cowboy dropped by. He tried it and could also do it. He found another spot. However, if I put my hand on the stick when he was holding it, it didn't pull down. I don't have the touch and others do. When they used my brass rods, it didn't work for either of them.

I called Lusk and asked if he had any idea how long it took rain water to perc 50 ft through the ground on my sandy, rocky place. He figured about a week.

So far, I've never run out of water but a lot of permanent residents in the area have had wells dry up. I might also if I lived there full time.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 06/22/18 04:39 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP