Hi Pond Boss Forum -

Been reading for about 6 months - first time posting - first time pond owner.

Back in March we dug about a 1/2 acre pond on 5 acres that we built a home on in central ohio. Deepest spot will be about 15 feet. Pond is filled with with run-off. It's about half full thanks to some crazy spring rains we had.

My plan is to use this pond for swimming (we will have a beach area) and to have a fun fishing hole. BG and LMB. I have no interest in CC.

I put 3 lbs of FHM in it after it had enough water at the end of April. Problem is that we've not had more than 3 days in a row of dry so I've not been able to plant any grass around the pond so the water has been really muddy since putting the FHM in the pond. I've not seen a FHM since I dumped them in. Is this normal? I assume if they would have died I would have seen them around the pond?

What I do see is a bunch of tree-frog tad-pools that have now developed into tree frogs. They are everywhere! I assume this to be a good sign that the pond is healthy?

I did the jar test with some water and the clay settled out in less than 4 days resulting in crystal clear water and clay on the bottom of the jar.

I guess I'm looking for some re-assurance that with time and grass being planted around the pond that it will eventually clear and not be the gross mud pit that it is currently. Also, do I need to be concerned about treating it for mosquito this first summer before I have any large number of fish in the pond?

The pond occasionally gets a weird green film on the surface, which the next day disappears. I guess I'm just nervous, I spent a bunch of time and money so far. Just put down grass seed this weekend... so hopefully things get better from here?