My pond was barely two months old and had barely 2' of water in it when I saw the first evidence of fish life in it. It appeared to be at least a couple inches long. I wrote it off as a frog at first. My pond's water is entirely watershed. It gradually came up to 6 feet deep and with one rain was completely full. No creeks, no streams nothing but watershed. Fast forward 6 months and we're deep into building our house. The wife is down by the pond and hollers at me to come see. Two GSF are on a bed. No way for them to get there except by bird traffic, which we had daily. A GBH came to visit like clockwork. That was the only outside source of transport to our pond. Just saying...whether they were eggs stuck to its feet or deliberately carried in by mouth, there was ABSOLUTELY no other way for them to get in there. Not long after that was when I saw a 6-7 inch BHC rise to the surface and take a bug. That was 6 months before Harvey hit and left 5 foot of water over the pond.

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 06/15/18 09:12 PM.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!