Originally Posted By: Mike Whatley
What I did today was get disappointed.

I stopped by the local co-op and picked a sack of Aquamax 500. Decided I wanted to use it instead of the Game Fish Chow. They ate it pretty well, but the smaller fish had a tough time due to the consistent size of the pellets, where GFC has mixed sizes...disappointment #1.

Then I mowed my grass and ran the weed eater around the pond, wanting to get it done before it started raining....sweated my hind end off....disappointment #2.

After dinner I decided to bait my two clover leafs with some of the GFC and set them out while I dunked a night crawler to try to catch a few BHC. Caught two right off the bat then the bite just quit....#3

So I pull up my first trap only to find a dang crappie in it. Now I've got a real mutt pond!

After 6 or 7 sets, this is the first crappie I've caught. About 4.5" long. I was hoping the Harvey flood had spared me of those fish, but my luck ain't that good. It went in the tank with the 2 BHC to be released into the bayou down the road. Here's the list of known species now...GSF, BG, RES, Warmouth, Pumpkinseed, LMB, BHC and now Crappie. Doubt seriously it's a black and what's the odds it was all by it's lonesome.

Harvey messed with a LOT of ponds all across southeast Tx and southwest LA, Mike. Sorry to hear that you got some unwanted guests.

I didn't realize that pumpkinseed live that far south, always thought they were Yankee fish. Now that you have some LMB, maybe your intruders will end up feeding them. BG outbreed almost all other sunfish with the exception of CNBG.

My "fun" time at the pond was trying to get my generator started. No matter how hard I pulled, no matter how many times I pulled, nothing doing. Sweated like a pig, extremely irritated... And then I realized that it was switched to the OFF position. shocked

Last edited by anthropic; 06/15/18 11:03 PM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160