My BOW has several aquatic plants, one which was introduced deliberately (duck potato) and the others not (am pondweed, chara, cattails)

A few questions

1) Most of the duck potato is now out of the water by about six inches as the pond water level has dropped roughly 12 - 18 inches during recent hot spell. Should I try to replant the duck potato deeper, or will it survive okay until we get a good rain?

2) I have 150 lb of TP in the lake, both to control algae and feed LMB. (Also I've heard that very small TP help feed large BG.) Do TP eat chara? I haven't seen them chowing down on Am pondweed or Duck Potato, thank goodness. (The stupid beaver is another story.)

3) As the heat has increased and water level dropped, the chara is venturing deeper. Like six feet, or maybe a bit more.

Most of my BOW drops off rather quickly, so this is not an issue. Besides, my YOY fish, especially CNBG, need a place to hide.

But there is an issue at the back bays of my pond, which is shallower. There the chara has pretty much taken over, including coverage of spawning beds.

If TP don't control chara, would grass carp do so? I'm leery of using them, since the pond is flourishing now and the LMB are fat & growing fast. Yet the back bays are becoming unfishable, and it is only the middle of June.

Any thoughts on the risks & rewards of GC? I definitely do NOT want to get rid of all the plants, just control the chara at the shallow end. But maybe I should leave well enough alone.

Last edited by anthropic; 06/14/18 01:31 PM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160