Originally Posted By: snrub
There is "feeding" and then there is "FEEDING".

Put ten fish (with absolutely no other fish) in an acre of water and give them all the feed they will eat and I'm sure there will be different results than supplementing feeding a pond that is full to carrying capacity of a variety of predator and prey fish.

Many of us feed but not specifically for trophy's or even to feed satiation levels.

To get a lot of 2# BG I would think it would take some very specific feeding conditions, not general supplemental feeding of an entire carrying capacity pond.

I have two problems with "pouring the feed to them". First is cost (if it is a significant size BOW) and second is water quality. I dropped back from feeding 5-6# feed per acre to 3 or less specifically because of water quality issues.

I have been struggling with the feeding mysteries.

If I feed more, am I growing bigger CNBG, or just more CNBG??? Year one I fed about 800# per acre for the year. year two about 1000#. year three I'm thinking of backing back down to the 800# range.

Is feeding 800 pounds in 6 months, different than feeding 800# over 10 months by feeding longer in cooler months when water is in the 50s?

If I know I'm going to feed X amount, wouldn't it be better to feed that amount when fish are at max growth rate based on water temp?

Is brand A feed better than brand B??? How much better????

Where is the sweet spot in #s feed/acre???

Am I putting too much effort into trying to recruit anything resembling a Shaquille O'Neal or even a Dennis Rodman out of my 1A pond size??? What are the odds???

Last edited by BrianL; 06/14/18 11:57 AM.

1.8 acre pond with CNBG, RES, HSB, and LMB
Trophy Hunter feeder.