I have found that GSF are very good at going in traps. I usually bait mine but it sounds like they go in anyway in your experience.

If I put a minnow trap in my forage pond that is not supposed to have GSF (but does have some - I remove all I can) I will get a disproportionate number of GSF compared to RES. But if I throw a cast net I will rarely get a GSF but get lots of RES fingerlings.

If I determined my fish population based on the trap results I would think I had mostly GSF. Yet if I use a cast net it shows I have a vast higher proportion of RES compared to GSF (thank goodness!)

I think the RES stumble into the trap by accident mostly. The GSF seem to go in on purpose. Just different nature/habit of different species of fish.

Last night I caught about three dozen RES with the cast net that ranged from 2" to 3+". I identified two GSF and one potential hybrid out of the catch. If I remember will put a trap out and see what I get but my past experience is I will get several GSF and few RES.

Last edited by snrub; 06/13/18 09:46 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine