it would be nice to not guess but to know for sure... I can propose that I have less BF tadpoles but I'm not sure exactly why. My kids have seen YP come up way WAY in the shallows to eat something but are they the pellets that floated into the shallow? Is it the BF tadpoles? Also we happen to have the black swimming babies of the American toads swarming the banks and perhaps the YP found a taste for those?

I refrained from raking the oak leaves out of my shallow waters this year mainly to protect the toad 'toadpoles' and to give cover for any critters that might still be there and I see the BF tadpoles can zip for cover under those leaves very effectively. If I have a sustaining population of scuds ever they will hopefully find some leaves helpful.

When the toads all hop out of the water here soon and head for the woods then I'll probably rake as I like the clear sandy edge for a few feet all the way around look. It also helps me at night when I come with a strong light I can see tiny perch resting on the bottom in the sand. For how sensitive their eyes are purported to be, they don't seem to mind much when I blast them at night with my flood light.

I guess we have to find someone with some fish cages and see how they do with tadpoles and see what their preference is.

Maybe NEDOC can feed tadpoles to his musky and see if they like them?