"Just as professor Neal said at the PB conf. the great bulk of performance (growth/size etc) is due to conditions other than genetics like food , water quality , proper environment etc."

I agree with this. Sometimes differences in environment or behavior favor growth potential of one species over another. One BOW I fish I catch 8 to 9 in GSF but have yet catch a BG exceeding 7. There are far fewer GSF. The BOW seems to favor reproduction of BG while favoring the growth and ultimate size of GSF.

In indoor food-fish feeding trials, growth seems to favor BG over HBG. Probably GSF would rank lower than BG as well. Maybe BG handle cramped quarters much better? Even so, not a pond environment.

I notice that in Oklahoma and Kansas the record GSF and BG have very similar weights with GSF slightly larger. In Texas, big as the state is, the record GSF is half the weight of Oklahoma and Kansas records. Also it is only 65% the weight of the Texas record BG. Odd? Or should this be expected?

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers