Originally Posted By: Theeck
not really. I am thinking an excavator is probably the only way to clear it.

I would contact a moderate size local excavating company where the owner and at least half of the operators are over 40 years of age, with experience in this type of work.

Generally in Northern WV, Western MD, Northwestern VA, and the southwesren half of PA, the dam will probably be breached to let the the water out if there is significant inflow of water that keeps the pond at full pool. If not, it could be pumped with something like a 4-inch trash pump. However the edges, and especially thick muck, needs time to dry out.

Depending on the type of equipment used, and the depth of the muck, will determine how long it needs to be mostly water free. No experienced operator is going to want to drive a tracked or rubber-tired piece of equipment into deep muck.

Then, you or you contactor will have to do something with the multiple cubic yards of that muck. For the most part it is anerobic (devoid of oxygen). It isn't going to useful as garden or field ammendents as-is.

These are just some of the reasons I would suggest a very experienced local excavating company.

A neighbor just had a smilar job done, with a just slightly larger pond. They breached the dam. Equipment was on site for a couple of weeks, but most was only used a few hours every few days.

Good luck,
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!