Originally Posted By: Norm Kopecky
I never grew up fishing for bass but rather fishing for catfish and have always liked them. It seems like catfish should control bluegills easily. The only problem with this combination is that the catfish wouldn't successfully reproduce. With the thousands (millions?) of catfish raised, they are really cheap to buy. If they can control bluegills, why wouldn't they be able to control crappies? Again, I'm assuming a put, grow and harvest catfishery. In small lakes, this would not cost that much.

Someone forgot to tell my CC they can't reproduce in my pond. I have everything from 6" through 12" through 15" and up to several pounds. Pond is going on 5 years old and I have at least 3 year classes of reproduction. My LMB predation is kind of on the light side so that may explain some of the success of the CC. I do not have an over abundance of CC reproduction but what for me seems about the right amount to maintain a population.

I'm trying to get my LMB population up to control the BG better so if I get that accomplished it may be the end of CC recruitment. I should have some 4-5# CC so maybe they will start helping with the BG control.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine