I'm so glad I built this sediment pond to take the brunt of runoff from my main pond.

Although it does not catch and settle out all the sediment from the agricultural land runoff, it catches a lot of it keeping it out of my main pond. Pictures below, first of sediment pond after about 1.8" of rain this weekend on already mostly saturated soils (so most run off). Second is of the main pond water. Notice its color compared to the sediment pond. Third picture is of water coming out of sediment pond into the main pond via the 8" overflow pipe. Notice there is still dirty water coming into the main pond but there would be lots more sediment and dirt filling the main pond without the settlement time from the water traveling the length of the sediment pond.

On a side note, we have had very little rain in big enough events to have much run off till recently. Subsequently the sediment pond has been very clear with a massive amount of FA. This turbid water pictured will pretty well do the FA in for the year.

Main pond within a half inch of being at full pool. Have not seen that for quite some time. It has been dry this spring.

Attached Images
20180520_124402 (600 x 600).jpg 20180520_124416 (600 x 600).jpg 20180520_124446 (600 x 600).jpg
Last edited by snrub; 05/20/18 03:36 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine