Hi Folks,

My wife and I have decided to wait and save money for 2-3 years to get land and build a pond, so we can really get a big chunk in an ideal location and spare no expense when building a pond. We are going to build a 2-3 acre pond and design it or have it designed to maximize the output of crappie and smallmouth bass.

We will build on wooded land, leaving the trees surrounding them to provide shade and prevent muddying of the water through runoff, will place lots of artificial habitat (the stuff from The Pond Guy looks great), and want it to be a great private fishery in an area that has abysmal fishing, though we may want it to have some areas where our kids can swim.

Although I am disappointed that it will be a bit before I can do any even half-decent fishing near home, I have decided to take these 2-3 years to learn in great detail everything I can about building a pond. This includes everything like selecting a site, clearing, designing the dam and bottom contours, digging, building the dam, excavating the bottom, lining (if necessary, though I think the soil in northern Virginia has a good bit of clay in it), placing structure, building a fixed dock, creating spawning habitat (lots of gravel and spawning discs), and monitoring the water.

I want to have, by the time I can move forward with building the pond, as much book-acquired knowledge as the best pond contractor. I know there is no way I can gain the practical, hands-on knowledge without working hard in the industry for quite a while, but I want to get all the textbook training I can.

My question is, aside from the obvious stack of Pond Boss back issues I have, what are the best resources I can purchase or consult to learn everything in as much detail I can about all aspects of designing and building a pond. Any books, textbooks, online publications, or anything are welcome!

Thanks!