I purchased a property a year and a half ago it has a 3/4 of an acre pond that was mostly neglected by the previous owner it has quite a bit of muck and weeds, I am in the process of evaluating how to renovate it.

Prior to purchasing the previous owner mentioned in passing that you can pull up on something? and drain the pond if you wanted to start over. I didn’t pay much attention to it at the time and unfortunately the previous owner has since died and I am trying to figure out what he meant .

There are two PVC pipes at the deepest point in line with the overflow pipe, one is 2 1/2 inches ID the other one is 3/4 of an inch ID, the 2 1/2 sticks up above the surface only a few inches but 3/4 sticks up 2 1/2 or 3 feet. My goal is to partially drain the pond to renovate the shoreline but I am scared to death to pull up on anything for fear I will never get it closed again without knowing exactly what I’m dealing with.

Is it typical to have some type of a valve at the end of a pipe that you can pull from the surface like a flapper valve? My fear is that when I pull to open a piece of trash or Muck will get sucked into the valve and cause it not to be able to seal up again.

I would appreciate any wild guesses or best practices on how to proceed.

Attached Images
IMG_E0569.JPG
Last edited by GAtransplant; 05/17/18 02:05 PM. Reason: added pic