Thanks Rain! Being from Missouri, you'll have to "show me" so I guess a swim in the pond will be on order to determine if a thermocline develops. Any volunteers?

I just have a hard time imagining that the upward movement of water from the diffuser would not also pull the water up from the gradual slope that extends further down into the deepest part of the pond mixing it all up. This may be an experiment to determine the proper placement of the 2/3rds diffuser to maintain a thermocline.

The "formula" that I used was developed from Vertex's lift chart for the XL1 diffuser...

If I place two XL1 diffusers in 4 foot of water and 1 at 6 foot deep, I get...2 x 700 GPM + 1,150 GPM = 2,550 gallons moved per minute. Convert to gallons per day and I get 3,672,000 gallons per day. My pond has 423,000 gallons in it (I emptied it and filled it back up with one gallon milk jugs - lol) Dividing 3,672,000 by 423,000 = 8.68 turnovers per day. I realize tat the 4 foot diffusers may very well turn water over merely in the shallows, but if I do the calculation solely using the 2/3rd diffuser,I get...3.9 turnovers per day. I'm still well in the zone.

I think I'm doing it right.

Attached Images
lifting RESIZE.jpg
Last edited by Quarter Acre; 05/15/18 04:11 PM.

Fish on!,
Noel