Yes a 2 gallon hand sprayer will work fine. That is what I use for perimeter spraying. I put about a pint of cutrine in a gallon of water and spray a 3' band out into the water. Once upon a time I did the calculations for area and rate. You should do that the first time to get close to the proper rate. After that you get a feel for it. It is pretty hard to get it exact. But you want to be in the ball park on rates. Read the label.

You can kill some of the floating mats, but in my opinion you are about two months late to start. It is kind of like killing weeds with Roundup. You can kill them easily when they are an inch high, or use much greater rates and kill the weeds when they are 6 feet high. You kill them in both cases, but in the latter case you have 6 feet of overgrowth to look at.

Same with FA. Start in March and control it when you see the first flush of green on the bottom of the pond. Then treat again every 3 weeks or so for a couple more times. For me this keeps it at bay enough I do not worry about it later during higher temps. Usually a good enough algae bloom happens by then and the FA is not much of an issue.

If you wait till you see floating mats, it is mostly just a revenge killing. Start early and get when it is young.

Buy a gallon. It will keep from year to year.

Last edited by snrub; 05/13/18 08:21 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine