Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
I've had this little pond going for 7 years now, and I decided to return to it's roots, and that would be growing out new CNBG genetics to add my big pond. I'll readily admit that when this all started, I couldn't tell the difference in a 3" greenie, and a CNBG. A lot has changed since then. One of the things I've learned over the years, is that certain projects take different amounts of effort. Refreshing genetics is one of those projects. Because of that, the pond had to be void of any living thing prior to restocking.

Here's how I handle hydrated lime when things get serious.

This is the pond before and after spreading hydrated lime. The pond was drained until the pump started pulling a vacuum. Less water means less hydrated lime.

Don't forget to treat any potential areas that may hold both water and fish. The fish in this picture was 30' above the pond in a small rut. It had been 2 weeks since any rain, and the BG was still kicking when I found it.

Pipe inlets and watershed often have washouts and can hold fish, so be sure and treat those also.

Never ever forget to treat footprints. You'd surprised how many fish they can hold.

Great advice! Those pesky little bluegills can hang around in footprint rather easily. Some of us have learned that from experience!