Hello all! Longtime lurker, first time poster.

I have a small pond with lots of suspended clay. I dug it out about 8 months ago, so there is little life in it.

My pond is probably about 200 feet long with an average width of 50 feet and an average depth of probably 8 feet.

I am planning on treating the pond with alum. Preliminary results from mixing a teaspoon in a 2 gallon bucket have been very promising.

My questions are:

1.) When I apply alum, is it ok to use only the slurry mixture and spread it evenly across the surface of the pond evenly (with greater time spent on deeper sections)? I work at a refinery and treat water as part of my job, and typically we use mechanical agitation to mix our coagulants and flocculants with the target water well enough to clump up the suspended solids. I don't really have a lot of great methods of agitating the water in the pond; but I've read this is not necessary.

2.)What is preferable: mixing the slurry with clean fresh water from my municipality or pond water? I would think the clean water would create a better "neat" chemical mixture.

3.)Where can I get aluminum sulfate and hydrated lime at in southwest Louisiana for a fair price? I bought a 50lb test bag of alum through a Walmart vendor for around $38 plus $27 shipping. I havn't looked for hydrated lime yet.

Last edited by Ramennoodleking; 05/08/18 12:20 PM.