I'm certain that most police local to any of our ponds have "bigger fish to fry."

But what I've found with my local police in Somerset, PA, who are actually state police, is that they really do want to help the respectable land owners and residents. And after they "catch" someone, they need the follow up support of those same land owners/residents to show up for hearings and trials, etc.

One of the guys who stole my motorcycles and mini-bike is now doing 3 years in the PA State Pen. It was not the theft of my property that put him away in itself; it was the fact that he was on probation for so many other things and this was his third strike. This was the same guy who stole my canoe five years ago, and the same guy who I caught trespassing/fishing on my property five years ago.

I'm currently planning my approach to bust someone who is fishing/poaching on my property now. A few weeks back, I found one of those fish stringers (the metal kind with safety pin type clasps). That's the kind of stringer that a meat eating poacher carries. The stringer was brand new, not a spec of rust on it.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."