Morning Tracy,
There's a couple of different studies, mostly done in Europe, regarding the use of Barley straw in ponds. There hasn't been anything done specifically using Wheat that I know of, but a couple of the reports I found said that other straws could be used, especially where Barley isn't available, but their effectiveness isn't as pronounced as with Barley because of their chemicle make-up. While you can purchase the small brick sized bundles of barley on-line (they're not cheap considering the amount you get), they're primarily intended for use in small decorative type ponds used for Koi. It would cost a small fortune to get enough to be of any use in a 1/4 acre pond 12 foot deep.

I was out at the pond last night and again this morning and have noticed a lite scummy like film on the surface. Almost silvery in color when light hits it. I'm thinking it may be pollen, but at this point...who knows. The clarity this morning is maybe 12" using a white coffee mug. I collected a jar of water last night and brought it inside and away from sunlight to see if anything settles on the bottom or if its locked in suspension. It has a light green tint to it but is transparent currently.

That brings up another question, regarding lime. Currently the runoff coming into my pond from outlying properties is funneled thru a very shallow ditch. I purposely allow my neighbors runoff to flow thru to keep him from flooding when we get alot of rain. I'm wondering if I filled that ditch in with fist sized limestone, would that help by 1) Filtering any sediment coming from the runoff and 2) dispursing small amounts of lime into the pond as the runoff flows thru the rock. It would be a maintainance issue, having to periodically pull the rock out and cleaning it up so the water could flow freely, and spraying round-up at strategic times to kill any weeds that will grow in the rock. Has anyone ever done this or know someone who has, and if so, what were the results?

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!