I managed to do some testing over the weekend. The throw pattern test will have to wait until it's hanging at the pond. I used a barrel in the garage and when the feeder is going off, it is like a tornado with all the food bouncing around and going crazy. Best I could tell the deflector did a very good job, but the question is...how much just drops straight down and how big if a deal is that really?

I ended up getting the following results (and food everywhere)...

Given: Moultrie 5 gallon All-In-One feeder with Optimal Junior (3.5mm), Optimal Starter Feed #4 (2.5mm), and a 50/50 mix (by volume).

Each test was run for 1 second with about a 1/2 gallon of food to start with. It does not take much time to throw a lot of food and a full feeder may change the results some.

The bags in the photo are for regular ole sandwiches for size reference...

Junior for 1 second threw 1/4 lb (about 1 cup),

Starter #4 for 1 second threw 1/3 lb (about 1-1/3 cup),

the 50/50 mix threw 3/10 lb (about 1-1/4 cup).

This tells me that if I feed the 50/50 mix twice a day for one second each that I should be using about 18 pounds a month. This is pretty close to my expectations and I am sure to do some hand feeding that would get me to 25 pounds a month. Should I need to feed more, I will have to test the 2 second cycle which could easily put me over what is needed and it may have to be set for once day or put a restrictor in to slow the feed from coming out. This feeder only increments in one second settings. I am still concerned about the feed falling out on it's own with some wind action even though it did pretty good with me simulating the wind over the barrel. Actual observance at the pond may prove one way or another. That will start next week after the pond is stocked with HBG, HSB, and RES.

Attached Images
Feeder Tests RESIZE.jpg

Fish on!,
Noel