Ever since we had the pond put in it has been chocolate milk. On a good day we had maybe 10 inches of view. The pond is about 1/4 acre +/- depending on if you count the streams the feed into it.

We started yesterday and mixed 50 pounds of alum in a stock tank with pond water then sprayed it over half the pond. Then repeated the process with about 20 pounds of hydrated lime.

Let it rest overnight an did it again this on the other half of the pond. pH is within a couple tenths of where we started yesterday, so I'm happy that we got the ratios pretty close.

We fed the fish tonight and saw some solid activity with the smaller fish. The minnows have vanished. I'm assuming that when we started they all ran upstream (we have mostly creek chubs) and I suspect that as they get used to the clear water we will see more of them. And I have no doubt that the larger fish are just hunkered down deep like usual.

We didn't measure, but eyeball says we are now seeing more than 3 feet of clarity, possibly 4. Very happy with the nice clear green color over the brown it used to be.

Never would have sorted this out if it weren't for the forum. I got my Aluminum sulfate and lime from the local co-op. They had to order it in. Also, when you go to pick up the alum, it might not be a good idea to kill birds with one stone and get 55 gallons of diesel at the same time. You get funny looks from people.

Attached Images
20180418_190807b.jpg