Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Very interesting Azteca! Makes me start wondering about fish appearing in BOWs where they were not stocked by man. Although most agree birds do not transport fish eggs on their feet, could they transfer eggs or tiny fry stuck in their plumage? ....I can easily envision a duck swimming thru a school of new hatched fish and some of those tiny critters getting trapped between feathers.....

I have personally watched a great blue heron chum the water by puking up in our pond to bring in more minnows and eat them. IF by chance there was minnows that were still alive in the herons gut I expect they could swim away.

Originally Posted By: azteca
Hello.

I want to do an experiment with Gammarus and Azteca in my little pond of Yellow perch larvae, in large quantities they will eat the filamentous algae and later will serve as food for the fry.

To catch them, I made a trap with pieces of fish.

Are there any members here who have already experienced it , I would like to know if the scuds can eat the larvae at the beginning.

A+

I have two 2.5 gallon tanks in my shop that I am raising scuds. The ones I have do not grow much larger then 3mm full grown. Their young are very very small and make great food for small fry. I do not know if they are small enough for new born Yellow Perch fry but could be close.

I am growing some green water tanks for rotifers to feed our new hatch yellow perch. Brine shrimp were too big and not enough for the yellow perch.

If you can find away to get the perch past that stage where they can eat brine shrimp please let me know.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.