Originally Posted By: ColdSpringsFarm
I've been feeding about 1.5 ounces of AM600 to my little CNBG/RES fingerlings. After realizing how small these fish are I decided to pulverize the AM600 so that most of it is sinking immediately. I've been anxiously awaiting the day when I throw out the feed and actually witness my fish eating it. So far I haven't had any luck witnessing feeding, although I have done some night time inventory to find plump healthy fish sleeping in the shallows. The last two days the mornings have been pretty chilly so I skipped feeding. Today I wasn't able to feed so I asked my wife to do it for me. She swears she saw a swarm of small fish eating the sinking feed. I'm thinking the combination of the warming temps and the lack of feed the last two days may have caused them to be more aggressive. Anyway, I'm excited about this new development and anxious to get them feed trained!

If they are feeding you can tell by pre-soaking some of the AM600 pellets so they sink immediately. Then put out a couple cups of this hydrated feed in a pile in about 6 to 12" of water depending on clarity (need to be able to see the fish). Stand back and stay really still for about five minutes and you should see a bunch of fish attacking the pile.

For viewing put all the feed in one spot and do not feed anywhere else (so the fish only have one place to go for the feed). This is only while you are wanting to view them. After you see the fish then go back to feeding like you normally would.

I would mix a few of the whole pellets in with your crushed feed. Eventually the fish will notice it and start hitting the floating pellets. They will keep hitting it till it softens enough and they will eventually consume it.

Last edited by snrub; 04/12/18 11:03 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine