I also vote you use option 2, but I would leave out the PS until the SMB have the small YP under control and numbers noticeably reduced. Do you best to locate and stock some, or at least a few 6"-8" long so they start immediately eating small YP. Do you have any SMB located. Wanting them and finding them are two big differences? Stocking fingerling SMB into a crowded YP population could easily resort to starving SMB and they all die. Worst case is you can buy some smaller ones, cage them, and feed them first small minnows for a few weeks and then add your smallest small perch to the cage for most of the summer until they are 5"-6" long and able to eat small YP.
http://hicklingsfishfarm.com/pricelist.htm

You may not be able to locate any of last year's SMB and you have to wait until fall for them. Then this summer you need to implement an aggressive removal of small YP.

Either way you likley will have to start aggressively manually removing small YP to help the SMB achieve a predator - prey balance to where the YP and stocker SMB are actively growing. Too many small YP create a big food shortage and will prevent all of them from growing. Simple manual removal can be angling and trapping.

If you are still seeing some YP eggs remove all of them you can locate. I remove all my YP eggs and always have some young ones each year. One missed strand will provide more than enough of a year class for 2018. Missing a whole year class of YP will not overly damage your goal of balance since you currently have too many small YP. Adding a few breeder sized PS will provide some small PS fry providing the over abundant stunted YP don't rob PS nest of all the eggs.

Are you feeding the YP pellets? It will help many of them grow faster.

I think the SMB will find a way to produce at least one or two spawn nests each year which is all a small pond needs. You can always add some WE & PS later.

Post IMO is okay in this forum topic.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/10/18 09:44 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management