Bump..........

Bringing this thread back up because I have a specific question. I'm planning on upgrading my pump system to a single pump of the vane type. It seems that will be the best bang for my buck in a 10' deep maximum pond concerning cfm developed vs electric cost to operate.

Based on the three 9" double Matala diffusers in my main pond with a single in my sediment pond and a single in my forage pond, it brings the total number of diffusers to 8. Based on the air I need to adequately inflate them it appears I could go to either a half horsepower pump or a 3/4 hp pump. The half hp should be adequate for my cfm needs I believe and I do not want to break the bank in electricity costs.

There is a question.......I'm coming to it.

So if either compressor would be within the CFM capability of the diffusers, would I be better off buying the 1/2 hp and run it 24/7 or buy the 3/4 hp and put it on a timer? In other words a continuous pond turnover, or a higher rate of turnover (and water flow) run intermittently?

The 3/4 hp pump is not that terribly much more expensive than the 1/2 and I am leaning towards it. I figure running fewer hours it should have longer service life between rebuilds. And I can keep about the same electric costs by an appropriate cycle duration.

If I go the 3/4 I will have another question, but lets discuss this element first.

Edit Correction. It appears there is no difference between the 1/2 and 3/4 units as far as air flow. What I should have said ask is if I should go the 3/4hp continuous or the 1 hp and run it intermittent.

Last edited by snrub; 03/28/18 11:55 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine