Originally Posted By: Rainman
Originally Posted By: ColdSpringsFarm
Originally Posted By: DRG
I was leaning towards using only HSB in my 3/4 acre pond to control CNBG and the consensus was that nobody was sure if that would be enough predation. It was a recent post in types of fish to choose titled is one predator species enough. I would copy the link but I would probably screw it up!!! Lots of good info that may help you. I went with a mix of both... Time will tell how good of a decision that was eek

David

I'll take a look. My pond is going to be almost completely featureless so it seems with the correct predator stocking I could ensure almost zero recruitment of CNBG. I've seen some concern about using the LMB/HSB solution to population control in small ponds. I'm not exactly sure why the smaller pond gives reason for pause unless you run the risk of starving the bass. I'm not going to worry about it too much. Its all a fun experiment and I can invest in a sein if things get rough!

Cold, I'm a little confused on your goals now...If you want zero, or near zero recruitment of the forage species, in this case, CNBG, the predator(s) will always be near starving.

Transversely, if you wanted really large Bass, the forage species has to be really abundant, and it is the forage species that has many at or near starvation...

The goal is a trophy bluegill pond, so I assume I want a bunch of starved bass eating up all bluegill that aren't the original stock.

-Jason