Originally Posted By: Shorty
Temperature information on RES was what I was looking for in my search when I ran across this article. A thread over on Big Bluegill about ice fishing for RES does come up at the top of the list when you Google " redear sunfish 39 degrees ". grin I wonder if RES caught through the ice will likely end up with a fungal infection if they are released. (I'm Thinking about the RES TJ recently caught.)

The other topics I found interesting were "salinity", "turbidity", "reproduction", and the aquatic "vegetation" notes.

Quote:
Redear adults typically occur in deeper, open waters and only move shoreward to spawn (Chable 1947; Cole 1951; McClane 1955; Lopinot 1961; Wilbur 1969), although Wilbur (1969) reported that greater densities of redear occurred in the peripheral deep water areas near submergent vegetation. Wilbur (1969) concluded that, except during spawning season, emergent vegetation was of lesser importance to redear than open water areas.

Based on my aquarium observations I suspect that RES are much more light sensitive than other sunfish and this is the primary reason that they stay deep during day. Like clockwork my aquarium RES move up in the water column once the light goes out every night. Water clarity/turbidity likely plays a significant role in how deep they typically reside during the day. I suspect that RES move up shallow to feed every night once the sun goes down. If I am right there should be very significant differences in the capture rates of RES by electroshocking during the day vs. electroshocking after sunset.

If I want to get my best rate of catch for fingerlings with my cast net in my forage pond, I throw it very near shore just before or slightly after sunset before dark. I will get a few out in deeper water, but near shore is best. Mid day bright sunshine and warm water I will be lucky to get one fingerling per cast.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine