I've got a problem. And the problem is me.

This pond has been from the beginning of digging it to stocking it dedicated to raising RES. It originally was stocked with RES and FHM. Those two were going to be the only two fish.

Then some of the guys from Nebraska have been reporting great results from RES/SMB ponds and it got me interested. Then Lusk stops by and suggests to put SMB in to control RES recruitment.

So I stock some SMB. So far so good.

But every time I cast the cast net in my forage pond and like tonight come up with about a dozen and a half of beautiful 4" GS I have this tremendous urge to put GS in this RES pond. I have not done it (yet), but I sure have the urge.

So my question is, if I put in some GS and they reproduce will they take away from my RES goal? I am satisfied that they would be a great addition as far as the SMB are concerned. They seem like a perfect sized and shape fish to feed SMB. But will they take away from my primary goal of RES production? Or would they maybe even help it?

So do I give in to the "urge" and stock some GS in this RES primary SMB secondary goal pond? Or leave it as it is with only FHM as the only fish forage (along with snails and stuff) for the RES?

Last edited by snrub; 03/18/18 10:21 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine