Originally Posted By: DavidBiss

Does anyone have an inventive idea for dissolving the alum prior to application

I may need to treat my new pond and have pondered methods of efficiently mixing and spraying alum over the pond.

My current thought is to use my 2" pump and fire hose nozzle I already have from keeping the dam wet as it was being built. Perhaps an efficient method would be to feed the alum into the water suction side and have it get mixed as its run through the hoses and out the nozzle.

I will try a 5 gallon bucket and drill a hole in the side about 8 inches from the bottom so the suction hose can be passed through and the intake screen be screwed on inside the bucket. Then drill multiple 1/2 holes in the sides of the bucket (but up several inches from the bottom) such that water can flow in. Hang the bucket over the side of a john boat with the top lip several inches out of the water. Then as the pump is sucking water into the bucket you can feed alum into the top of the bucket. The alum would get sucked into the intake and mixed with the water as it runs through the pump and out the nozzle. One person feeds in alum, one person runs the nozzle and trolling motor. Might need some sort of easy way to slowly feed the alum into the bucket. I wonder if the alum will wear out the pump quickly.

I used a similar method to mix hydrated lime and blowing it out into a mostly drained pond to kill fish. Worked fine.

[Linked Image]