I took my youngest down to the pond today to check on things - he's home with me this week recovering from having his tonsils removed last Friday. The runoff from snow melt and 2" of rain over a 24hr period ran over the south shoreline ice. I have 2-3" of base ice, 4" of runoff water and a skim of ice from today's cold front.

I need to clean out the upstream face of my feeder creek weir - its nearly topped with sticks, mud and leaves from fall.

These are the two feeders as they confluence just upstream of my primary feeder creek weir - I'm going to add some more low head weirs one of these days to catch heavy rain sediments before reaching the pond....I wish I could just build a small sediment pond in this valley lol

You can see where the runoff ran on top of the pond ice all along the south shore on the left in these pictures

Nasty stuff

There is likely 3-6" of honeycombed ice in all other areas of the pond. The 10 day forecast has a warming trend starting tomorrow that should really start knocking down the ice if it stays sunny.

Mat Peirce
1.25 acre southeast Iowa pond
LMB, BG, YP, WE, HSB, RES, BCP