Originally Posted By: Jack Horn
What were your initial stocking numbers for HBG, CC, and HSB in that put and take pond? I guess the HSB keep the redears in check enough to where you can throw every one back like that. Also, I'm guessing you stocked larger RES to avoid predation from existing HSB or bigger CC?

It is probably at least about 6-7 years ago when I initially stocked that pond, so I don't exactly remember what I put in. But, I would guess I started with 15 to 20 4-5 inch channel cats, probably 100 HBG and probably 100 RES. That would have been in April or May that year. I know I also stocked it again in about September with about similar numbers. The following springtime I added a similar number, plus two 6-7 inch koi. In late November I opened a hole in the ice of that second year and added 15 HSB. I believe it was the third late-autumn season when I added about 15-20 golden trout.

When adding RES and HBG in recent years I have been growing them out in a cage at the end of the dock in my other pond for about 4 months.

We don't release any caught channel cats if they are over about 14 inches.

Ken

P.S. One more thing. Through general agreement, most of the experts I've spoken to about largemouth bass eating channel cats, it is has been fairly consistent that because of the CC spines, a 5 inch CC is pretty safe from LMB predation.

Last edited by catmandoo; 02/20/18 08:54 AM.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!