My first post here! I've been reading for a while. I thought now would be a good time to see if I could get some thoughts on the pond I am trying to build. I haven't read anything that is similar to it, at least that I could find.

I have a property with a field on the edge of a woods. I want to build a pond that is great for both fishing and swimming.

I dug a test pond last year and it held water well. I now want to go ahead and dig the full 2 acre pond. Most of it will be 10 feet deep, and most of the sides will be 3:1 slope with 6:1 around the beach area. The pond is in Ontario, Canada, so the temperatures are colder.

I have it in my head that it would be ideal if I could circulate the water in the pond. After much research I have found a way to use air lift pumps to move 3000 liters of water per minute with less than a kW of energy. This is enough to move the top 2 feet of water or so once every 24 hours, and also put a lot of oxygen into the water. I will have this water flow over some planted sections in the "river" area, which will only be about 6 feet deep. Here is a pic:

I'm wondering what people think about this. Our goal is great swimming, good fishing, and minimal maintenance. Any thoughts appreciated!

Ted