Originally Posted By: snrub
You can raise a lot of CC quickly if feeding regularly good quality fish food. If you are going to push the fish production pretty hard, consider adding aeration. After food limitations, water quality will be your next potential problem.

Or like John F problem where he had some otters come in and wipe out his well fed CC crop. He had some tremendous CC growth in a small pond till the otters came along.

I had regular CC up to 5 pounds in the first 1/4 acre pond from an 8" start from September 2015 until summer 2017. We caught about 30 out of about 65 for the table, averaging about 3.3 pounds each. Last fall, beginning in October, otters made periodic raids which appear to have totally wiped out the CC, including my "pet" albinos up to 7 lbs, plus some of the big BG. I have two ponds, each about 1/4 acre. The second pond had about 50 CC up to about 1.75 pounds by November starting at 8" in March 2017. It appears to be wiped out also. Fed CC are fat, slow, and fairly tame. They get very sluggish in our 42 degree average waters of winter, becoming easy otter prey. In my case, an early and prolonged freeze over would have helped keep otters out, but we never get that here. I may never try to raise CC again, since it was mainly a waste of feed due to predation. I found a flathead catfish skeleton next to the neighbor's pond about 700 ft from mine on the opposite side of the creek that probably had otter predation also. That flathead was probably 20 pounds, judging from the size of the head and backbone.

The White River is a half mile away. With a feeder creek into the river being only about 350 feet behind the ponds, it is a likely path for the otters, which seem to come in mainly at night, and leave by daybreak. A neighbor got a picture at daybreak of one otter on my #2 pond bank with a CC in its mouth, maybe about 1.5 plus pounds. It looks in the picture to be about as big as an otter can get, maybe 35-40 pounds.
As I said in an earlier post, I cannot see the surface of my ponds from the house, only the tops of the dams. The neighbor can see them. The otter was very wary. She said it ran away with the CC when she moved the curtains on her window about 200 feet away.