FairviewFarmer - I would do some more homework and shop around a little more. If cost is a big factor consider buying high quality parts separately and assemble them yourself. Buying a preassembled kit does have numerous benefits especially considering the time factor involved.

Separate parts such as pump then build your own manifold w/ gauge and pressure relief and air filter for the intake port. Proper high CFM compressor to match the water body is very important IMO. Note the Koenders system works down to 40ft but why buy a higher pressure compressor that sacrifices CFM when air volume is most important if your pond is not real deep?? For pressure (PSI) you need 1/2 your maximum depth + maybe 1-3 psi. Example 10ft deep / 2 = 5psi + 2psi = 7psi. Generally with lower PSI the pump can produce more CFM. CFM is very important in aeration systems - ability to make bubbles. Use weighted hose or unweighted DYI black poly tubing or garden hose that you weight yourself. Buy the best diffuser from your research somewhere online.

Koenders vs Airmax. My initial guess is one is a diaphragm pump and the other is a different style pump. I am not familiar with Amax but I am with with Koenders electric system. Main thing to research and learn is the amount of air produced by the pump - cfm cubic ft per minute. The more air produced the more bubbles the diffuser can make. Air volume is very important when choosing a diffuser. Next important item is the diffuser. Stone type diffusers plug and clog due to calcium (alkalinity & hardnesss) buildup more easily and are harder to clean (muratic acid needed) than membrane diffusers (soap&water scrubbing). I quit using stone diffusers years ago - too much trouble for the benefit produced. Size of diffuser is important. The more surface area a diffuser has the larger the initial boil produced & the more water moved at the surface. Each diffuser has an optimum operating needed air volume. Diffusers should match the air volume of the pump. Excess air means you could operate extra diffusers and then move more water. In this case of more diffusers, the system could be operated less each day to get the same "job" done in less time. Fewer hours on the compressor means longer lasting life span of the compressor.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/14/18 02:00 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management