From my experience with both, polyethylene-polystyrene dock deck material vs wood or wood composite, the poly products are much better. Better as in no splinters, not slippery when wet, maintains its color well, and no need to periodically retreat wood (esp over the water & drips) to keep if from deterioration. IMO the poly material as long term worth is at least 3X more benefit than the cost of using wood. I have had a polystyrene top on my dock (wood joists) for 20yrs with no fading, cracking, nor splintering.

If cost is not a big factor consider contacting dock building experts Herman Brothers Pond Management for design, a building quote, and actual on site construction for you: hbpondmanagement.com

EZ docks out of TX have very good high quality products and are supporters of PondBoss. For a dock that is not elaborate as in not large, I wanted a lower cost DIY smaller dock for my newly rebuilt forage ponds. I incorporated Playstar Dock Systems products. They have aluminum frames, poly decking material, plus other good DIY materials for building wooden docks. Do your homework before pulling the trigger.

When your project is in progress or competed would you return to let other members know about your project and experiences?

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/12/18 08:39 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management