Originally Posted By: TGW1
Will, I finally got a good rain, best rain I have seen since last June, and rain is in the forecast for most of the next 7 days. I also did my Alum test and it took around 5.6 grams of alum per gal to turn the water crystal clear over night. Now I need to check the pH of the same sample. I started with an 8.7, so we will see how much the pH dropped by using the alum. I am treating for excess phosphates, not colloidal solids. Or at least I think that is why there is green cloudy water. I have still not been able to come up with an answer as to why the pond is cloudy. So, whatever is causing the problem of low visibility the Alum cleared it right up. I was impressed to say the least!

Anyone have an idea on the total amount of Alum needed based on 5.6 grams per gallon for a 3.12 acre 7 foot average depth pond? I just did the test and have not figured the amount of alum needed. And how much lime to use either. With the Ph starting at 8.7, would the treatment still require 1 sk. of hydrated lime for every 2 sks of Alum?

Brian, glad to hear the Tp are making babies smile

Tracy, don't try being too specific when treating with Alum...your tests are in static, controlled conditions with water undisturbed...nothing at all like your pond....Figure 22 acre feet of water and 200 pounds Alum/100 pounds Hydrated lime per acre foot....4400 pounds alum, 2000 pounds Hydrated (since pH is a bit high) Lime....btw, I'd love an all expenses paid Texas winter trip laugh

Last edited by Rainman; 02/08/18 04:48 PM.