We'll talk about leaky ponds, and what Mike does to minimize leaks, and how to prevent them in the first place.

I'll always remember, back in 1995, when we did a seminar tour. We hit five cities in two weeks. My topics were varied, as there were four or five of us giving the speeches. I was first up, with a slide show (literally, slides in a tray), about "Planning to Build a Pond". One part, I said, "Find dirt that doesn't leak". After the second time I said that, Otto grabbed me by the collar (literally), and with a slightly raised voice, said, "STOP TELLING PEOPLE TO FIND DIRT THAT DOESN'T LEAK!!! ALL DIRT LEAKS! Have you ever seen a permanent puddle?"

Hadn't thought of it that way before.

He said, "All dirt leaks. Our job is to find dirt that leaks the least!"

He's right. Water has an amazing affinity for leaving. It always seeks the path of least resistance, oozing through soils less compacted, or flowing through fractures, fissures, sand, or gravel veins. The pond builder's job is to 'read the soils' and find the best compactable clay and put it where it needs to be, whether in a dam, or to line a pond...those calls are site specific.

Tune in tonight and listen to the expert, Mike Otto!

6:30-7:30 Central Time, on the Pond Boss Facebook page.

Cody Note: There you have it from the experts- just as I said - all ponds without liners will leak. You want the pond that leaks very little. Lusk and Otto will explain how to get that well sealed pond tonight or later listen to it on Facebook live -Pond boss.

Hey - Mr Pond Boss don't forget to discuss ""how much leakage is normal in a well compacted and sealed pond? And Is there wording about leakage that should be included in a pond building contract?""

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/07/18 02:36 PM.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...