Originally Posted By: peachgrower
J, never thought of using tires for that. I have plenty of those! I have the same problem...agriculture land. We have cattle, they must have access to the pond, surrounding land gets litter for fertilizer also. I noticed after the FA dies off during the cooler months I got a GREAT bloom. I have limed, probably need to again as we live in a very acidic area.

Not trying to highjack, thanks for the idea!

J and Dono, do you have trouble with your potted plants during heavy rain events?? Do you use some kind of burlap, peat, or netting to keep the soil in place?

Pondfun, we haven't met, so WELCOME!! you are in a great place!

Well growing out some dwarf sag right now in our shop. With all water plants that are not quite evasive when transplanting they can melt. Melt as in the leafs they have die as new ones grown. That first few days of growth and melt is the most difficult.

I am trying to figure out how to pot these guys so they can be easily transplanted with little melt. I have moved about 30 or 40 new plants that have grown in the shop this winter to our planted fish tank. They did some melt and are starting to take hold. I think the melt happens when you bare root plant them.

I have some thoughts and will post them if they work.

Picture is of our transplanted sag and Fire Red cherry shrimp. They clean the dead leafs that melt and gobble up alga. They are very prolific and a pair will have 20-30 baby's every 3 weeks. we started with about 6 pair for sure. Like the pond stocking the shrimp first then adding fish they should be able to keep up to depredation of the fish.

Cheers Don.

Attached Images
RCS2.jpg
Last edited by DonoBBD; 02/07/18 08:21 AM.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.