I am getting close to the end of this years winter (I hope). So, it's time to started on this years plans to meet my goals of growing some really big lmb and some nice sized HSB. And hoping not to kill off these fish in doing so. Our early spring should start up in the next 3 weeks on or around Feb.the 20th (Based on years of keeping a fishing journal) Here is a list of things I have started on, along with the things I plan to start on in the next 60 t0 90 days.

Have you started your pond management plans to meet your goals for this year?

#1 - I had a water test done through LSU Agg Extension.
#2 - I will be sending a water sample off this week to Mr. Bill Cody for his thoughts.
#3 - Met with Todd Overton and discussed adding Gypsum to increase the calcium in the pond water. I picked up 3 tons from Todd yesterday, and I might need another 3 tons before I am finished. And we are starting our testing for the amount of Alum needed to reduce Phosphates.
#4 - Todd and I discussed my loss of the TFS this winter and almost no chance of replacing them this year. So, I am adjusting my fish population by using a mix of 2" to 4" GSH that will be added to the pond on or around April 1st. Lets say 80 lbs or so for now. I do not expect for them to take hold and reproduce in the pond due to the lmb and hsb but they might. smile. I want to take the pressure off the cnbg and get this years hatch of cnbg to 4 to 6" length.
#5 - Add 12 to 15 lbs per acre of Tp(hopefully large enough not to be eaten) to the pond with the GSH. Again to get the cnbg to the desired size.
#6 - On or around Feb the 20th, start a culling program on the lmb. Removing all males caught along with any poor condition females.
#7 - Treat pond with Alum to remove excess nutrients.
#8 - Change the type and brand of fish food, hoping this will help reduce excess nutrients in the pond. I going to give Optimal a fair shot at it this year. I may supplement with Purina.

#9 - Sell some of the crap I never use to pay for all of this. smile

Last edited by TGW1; 02/04/18 08:06 AM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy